St. Bartholomew Parish
Catholic Church


Parish History
History of St. Bartholomew Parish:

On September 3, 1917, George Cardinal Mundelein appointed Rev. William J, O'Shea to organize a parish to serve English-speaking Catholics that lived within in the rapidly growing area bordered by Irving Park Road, Central Avenue, Diversey Avenue and the St. Paul and Pacific Railroad tracks.  Fr. O'Shea celebrated the first Mass two weeks later on September 16, 1917 in the auditorium of Gray Elementary School (Grace and Laramie Sts.).  By November 1917, Fr. Shea celebrated Mass in a small church building that had been erected on Patterson Ave. where the parish school is presently located.
Because the parish continued to grow, and the need for a parish school was great, a new combination church-school building was opened for services on Christmas Day 1920.  The parish school began classes in September 1921 under the direction of the Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine, Kentucky.  By 1925 the enrollment was 400 students and the building was enlarged to add more classrooms.  
In 1936 Rev. Sidney J. Morrison, the second pastor, commissioned architect Gerald A. Barry to design a new colonial-style church.  Ground was broken on September 14, 1936 and the first Mass was celebrated in the new church on Oct. 31, 1937.  The new church was officially dedicated by George Cardinal Mundelein the following year.
In September 1952, Samuel Cardinal Stritch dedicated a new 13-classroom building on Addison Avenue to accommodate the kindergarten and primary grades.  The enrollment in the school at this time had risen to 1148 students.  
In 1953 the lower church was remodeled, under the direction of Rev. Jeremiah P. Holley (third pastor), as a chapel dedicated to the Mother of God (Mater Dei) to serve as extra worship space.
Monsignor Edward M. Burke followed as the fourth pastor of St. Bartholomew.  Construction of a new 16-classroom school building with a gymnasium on Patterson Avenue began in 1964 and opened its doors in September 1965 for the beginning of the new school year.  Two years later, in October 1967, St. Bartholomew celebrated its 50th anniversary.
Fr. Robert W. Mockenhaupt followed as the fifth pastor of the parish.  Under his leadership the first Parish Council and School Board were formed.  Upon Fr. Mockenhaupt's sudden death after only two years as pastor, Fr. Arthur Krueger became the sixth pastor.  
In 1978 there were 707 children enrolled in the parish school.  The faculty consisted of 21 lay teachers and seven nuns from two different Religious Orders; the Sisters of St. Francis (OSF) and the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVM).
Over the years St. Bartholomew parish has served Poles, Italians, Germans and Irish families.  In the 1990's the neighborhood saw the arrival of many Latino families, mostly from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Colombia and Ecuador.  In 1999 a weekly Spanish Mass was added to the parish Mass schedule.  The past few years have also seen the formation of various Latino parish groups and ministries at St. Bartholomew.  
Other pastors of St. Bartholomew have been: Rev. George Cerny (seventh pastor); Rev. Jason Malave (eighth pastor), Rev. Thomas Koys (ninth pastor) and presently Rev. Ricardo Castillo (tenth pastor).
Presently the parish is beginning to look forward to 2017, when it will celebrate 100 years of service and ministry to the surrounding neighborhood.  St. Bartholomew has always been a parish that has welcomed people from many backgrounds and walks of life.  We look forward to the challenges of the future to continue to bring Jesus' Gospel message to our community.


 Historia de la Parroquia de San Bartolomé

En el 3 de septiembre, 1917, el Cardenal George Mundelein, pidió al Rev. William J. O'Shea a organizar una parroquia para servir a familias católicas de habla inglesa en el área limitada por la Irving Park Road, la Avenida Central, la Avenida Diversey y las vías del ferrocarril St. Paul and Pacific.  El Padre O'Shea celebró la primera misa dos semanas más tarde en el 16 de septiembre, 1917 en el auditorio de la escuela primaria Gray (esquina de la Grace y la Laramie).  Por el noviembre de 1917, el Padre Shea había construido una pequeña iglesia en la Avenida Patterson, donde actualmente está la escuela parroquial.
La parroquia crecía y la necesidad de tener una escuela parroquial era grande.  Un nuevo edificio que contenía una iglesia y una escuela abrió sus puertas en el día de la Navidad 1920.  La escuela parroquial empezó su primer año de clases en el septiembre 1921, bajo la dirección de las Madres Dominicas de St. Catherine, Kentucky.  Por el año 1925 habían 400 alumnos registrados en la escuels.
En 1936 el Rev. Sidney J. Morrison, el segundo párroco, contrató con el arquitecto, Gerald A. Barry, para diseñar una nueva iglesia en el estilo colonial.  La construcción comenzó el 14 de septiembre, 1936 y la primera misa se celebró en e 31 de octubre, 1937.  La nueva iglesia fue oficialmente dedicada por el Cardenal George Mundelein en 1938.
En septiembre 1952, el Cardenal Samuel Stritch dedicó una nueva escuela con 13 aulas en la Avenida Addison para acomodar los alumnos de kindergarten y la escuela primaria.  En este año el número de alumnos era 1148.
En 1953 el sótano de la iglesia fue remodelado, bajo la dirección del Rev. Jeremiah P. Holley (el tercer párroco), como una capilla dedicada a la Madre de Dios (Mater Dei), para proveer más espacio para misas.
El Monsignor Edward M. Burke siguió como el cuarto párroco de San Bartolomé.  La construcción de una nueva escuela con 16 aulas y un gimnasio empezó en 1964 y se abrieron las puertas para el año escolar 1965.  Dos años más tarde la parroquia celebró 50 años como una parroquia.
El Rev. Robert W. Mockenhaupt siguió como el quinto párroco.  Bajo su dirección se formaron el primer Concilio Pastoral y el primer School Board.  El Padre Mockenhaupt se murió inesperadamente después de dos años como párroco y le suplió el Rev. Arthur Krueger, como el sexto párroco.
En 1978 habían 707 alumnos en la escuela.  La facultad consistía de 21 maestros laicos y 7 Religiosas.  Las Religiosas eran de dos diferentes Órdenes Religiosas: Las Hermanas Franciscanas (OSF) y Las Hermanas de la Caridad de la Virgen María (BVM).
A través de los años la parroquia de San Bartolomé has servido a la gente Polaca, Italiana, Alemán y Irlandés.  En los 1990s el barrio vio la llegada de muchas familias latinas, mayormente de México, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Colombia y Ecuador.  En 1999 una misa semanal en español fue añadida al horario de las misas dominicales.  En estos años se ha visto la formación de varios grupos y ministerios latinos en la parroquia.
Otros párrocos de San Bartomomé han sido: Rev. George Cerny (séptimo párroco), Rev. Jason Malave (octávo párroco), Rev. Thomas Koys (noveno párroco) y el párroco actual es el Rev. Ricardo Castillo (décimo párroco).
Actualmente la parroquia está empezando sus planes para celebrar 100 de servicio y ministerio a la comunidad alrededor.  San Bartolomé siempre ha sido una parroquia que ha recibido gente de muchos orígenes y aspectos de la vida.  Esperamos los retos del futuro para continuar a servir a nuestra comunidad y anunciar el Evangelio de Jesús.